Ranjish hi sahi

A superb gazal that brings out the angst and helplessness of a person in love. The lyrics are by Ahmed Faraaz and sung by Mehdi Hasan. I had heard this gazal long time ago .... maybe 1982 in a program (was it Gaan Manjiri at 12.30pm) on Vividh Bharti. I could not understand a word of it then. Later I heard Lata's version and another one by Asha.

This song can be heard HERE and seen HERE I have tried to convey the meaning in my limited knowledge of Urdu (using the Urdu to English dictionary from HERE!) Like other Indian languages in Urdu too, a word may have more than one meaning. The meaning depends on the way the word is used in a sentence.
रंजिश - anguish or distress
मरासिम - agreement or relationship
गिरिया - crying or weeping or tears
भरम - consideration or regard
पिन्दार - ego or pride or arrogance
महरूम - deprived
फहम - understanding or intellect


रंजीश ही सही दिल हि दुखाने के लिए आ
आ फिर से मुझे छोड के जाने के लिये आ
Be it in anguish or to torment my heart
Return even if its just to leave me again

पहले से मरासिम न सही फिर भी कभी तो
रस्म-ओ-रहे दुनिया हि निभाने के लिये आ
Like in the past we may not be in agreement
Return even if its just to fulfill worldly rituals

किस किस को बतायेंगे जुदाई का सबब हम
तू मुझ से खफा है तो जमाने के लिये आ
To whom should I tell the reasons of our separation
Return for the sake of everything else, if not for me

कुछ तो मेरी पिंदार-ए-मोहब्बत का भरम रख
तू भी तो कभी मुझ को मनाने के लिये आ
Please respect the depth of my love
Return even if its only to pacify me once in a while

एक उम्र से लज्जत-ए-गिरया से भी महरुम
ऐ राहत-ए-जान मुझ को रुलाने के लिये आ
Too long have I been deprived of the flavour of sadness
Return my love even if it makes me cry again

अब तक दिल-ए-खुश-फहम को तुझ से है उम्मीद
ये आखरी शमाँ भी बुझाने के लिये आ
Till now my heart suffered from expectation from you
Return just to snuff out those last candles of hope.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradhin Aahe Jagati Putra Manavacha

संदीप खरेच्या कविता

Trip to Karde