The Day I Lost Pancham


Jan 4th, 1994 was a usual day for me.... I met Vaishali in the evening and was about to speak to her when I heard the terrible news on TV. The news sounded strange and imperceptible...almost as if someone was talking in a foreign language. It took me some time to realize that it was REAL. He was no more. Vaishali later told me that I left suddenly without the usual courtesies.
I left her house in Tulshibag, but I don’t remember how I reached my home. I probably was oblivious to the usual noise and din of the marketplace. It was a very sad day. Till that day, I hadn’t known what it was to loose a dear one. I had felt the urge to cry out loud but there wasn’t a shoulder anywhere near.
And then a few days later, the soundtrack of 1942 A Love Story was released. I headed to purchase my copy of the audio cassette. It was very unusual feeling to hold on to a Pancham audio cassette knowing that he is no more. After the commercial flop of Gurudev and Drohi, I wasn’t really prepared to expect what was inside. And then the initial percussion sounds in Stereo wafted in followed by Nasal Sanu singing “Ho Ek Ladki Ko'.... Forget Sanu, the music was mindblowing. I looked around expecting others at home to comment on the outstandingly different sounds that Pancham had created. He had completely reinvented himself telling us,”Guys, Picture abhi baaki hai!!”
After I finished the album, it finally sunk in.... that this was the last time I would here his composition. Pancham was no more... there would be no more music from him.... this was what he left... that this was what he was capable of... inspite of being being ignored for the past so many years.... THIS WAS PANCHAM .
When the internet revolution hit Indian shores, I became aware and involved with these bunch of Pancham bhakt’s on Yahoo groups. With them I started on journey to rediscover RD from Chhote Nawab onwards. With the immense knowledge that those guys shared, I went back to my collection of cassettes and listened to the less heard tracks. I realized there was a lot more to RD than met the eyes or rather ears.
Pancham, I know I have missed the chance to meet you in person. I miss you buddy but MUSIC will miss you even more….

Comments

  1. Good One, Even I am a fan of both RD and SD. I used to listen to Burman Da and wonder what kind of music does he create. But gradually the feeling of happiness and understanding sunk in that here was a singer and composer who sings from his heart and makes simple tunes which really touch your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paradhin Aahe Jagati Putra Manavacha

संदीप खरेच्या कविता

Trip to Karde