Micromax Q5fb

Recently I purchased a new celphone - Micromax Q5fb (The fb stands for Facebook). I had used my old phone for too long and was looking at making a small beginning to graduate towards smartphones. My requirements were very modest. I wanted a GSM phone that had a very good capacity address book, could play mp3 music, can set your own mp3 tune as a ringtone, had a modest camera, had a QWERTY keypad and had FM radio! The biggest constraint that I put on myself was that I would not spend more than Rs.4000 on my new phone. I had also kept myself open to the idea of buying an Indian handset.
I was surprised when I found Micromax Q5fb. It cost me all of Rs.3700 and had a lot of features.
Pros
Dual SIM capability
15Mb internal memory expandable upto 8Gb
2MP camera
Bluetooth
GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps
Nimbuzz chat client
Opera 4.2 browser
Yamaha audio amplifier. This produces a really LOUD sound
Audio and video recording
Handsfree capability

Cons
No Silent mode
Dual band only supports 900 and 1800 frequency
Heavy
Runs on Java MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1
Does not have 3G, but do you really expect 3G in such a cheap phone!
The trackball seems dicey (I have used it only for a month)

I was surprised to find out that this phone does not have a Silent mode! In times such as today's we assume that all phones however cheap they are have a Silent mode option. The Micromax site suggested that pressing down the $ key for more than 5 seconds enabled the Silent mode. Sure enough we do see the onscreen message saying, " Silent Mode Activated". But the phone actually goes on Vibration mode. Isn't this ridiculous?

How to put Micromax Q5 in Silent mode?
After spending a very long time on the net without any help, I found out an easier way to enable Silent mode on the Micromax Q5fb. I recorded the sound of silence! I went into the meeting room in our office and followed the following steps:
1) From menu options go to MultiMedia
2) Select Sound Recorder
3) From options select “New Record”
4) Kept the recording On for 15 seconds.
5) Rename this audio file as “silent mode.amr”
5) Now from user profiles, for SIM1/SIM2 select a mode that you want as the "Silent" mode. I selected "Meeting" as my silent mode, kept it on "Ring only" and selected “silent mode.amr” as ring tone.

For those of you who would be technically inclined this website gives details of the push mail settings for Yahoo and Gmail. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Comments

  1. What a ridiculous situation...? No silent mode only vibration mode....? I was spending my most of time to find out its silent mode....! Thanks for your tips....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude if u have some groups fr contacts n u hav specified diff diff tones fr da particular group den if u put sm silent tone it wont work fr other groups.it vl simply work fr any unknown no. so ur solution is also nt ryt to sm extent..if u knw nythn els den plz lemme knw..orels its bettr 2 throw dis fon..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paradhin Aahe Jagati Putra Manavacha

संदीप खरेच्या कविता

Trip to Karde