Cheap Tactics by Maharashtra Times

This is the story of the blunder I made by subscribing to Maharashtra Times. Maharashtra Times is now launched in Pune. Prior to the launch, Maharashtra Times started a scheme of subscription at just Rs.11 for 4 months. I was very happy that Maharashtra Times was launched in Pune and being a fan of its editorial content, I subscribed to the scheme. While filling up the subscription form, I gave my cell number in contact details. That was the blunder I made. Since that day, I am getting SMS’s from Maharashtra Times twice a day. The message center number is +91 98211 00006. The first SMS comes during the day time and the other at 3.45 in the morning! The SMS’s typically urge us to read some advertisement appearing in the newspaper. To find the origin of this SMS I used the services of Mobile Tracer and this website. This is the output it gave.

I also checked the TRAI website to confirm that my phone was indeed listed under the National Do Not Disturb Registry.
When I signed the subscription I was not told that I would be getting any SMS’s nor was it mentioned on the subscription form. I cannot keep my phone on silent mode as I use it for business. Why does Maharashtra Times, a newspaper from the respected Times of India group have to resort to such cheap tactics? Morever, since we have subscribed the newspaper isn't it obvious that we would see the ad too? I tried calling that number only to discover that it is not possible to cal that number.
Getting a text message at 3.45 in the morning ruins my sleep. I never expected such a thing from Maharashtra Times. Incase someone from Maharashtra Times is reading this please instruct your marketing guys that customers like me are losing trust in this newspaper. Is this newspaper so eager to seek attention?
I have learnt my lesson. Respected or trusted I am not going to share my personal information to anyone.
Now I also fear that these guys may sell the database of such customer numbers to other agencies. I have subscribed to the "Do Not Disturb" service of my service provider and everything was good till the day I gave my number to Maharashtra Times. Maharashtra Times marketing department shame on you for misusing my cell number without my approval.TRAI are you listening?

Update on 28th January 2011
I sent an email to my service provider pointing out that I inspite of having registered for DND (Do Not Disturb) I was still getting such marketting SMS's. My service provider actually acted on this complaint and for the past so many days I haven't got any such SMS from Maharashtra times!

Comments

  1. Hi,
    This is AMit from Pune. I too am facing this unruly method of advertising.
    We need to do something about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. These are just cheap tactics. Even as selling newspaper on Rs. 11 for 4 months to wipe-out the market is same.

    Anyways, Maharashtra Times, once a reputed news paper might loose its reputation if they continue this behavior.

    I am also getting those SMS and don't know how to stop them :(

    - SSJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same is the case with me.Even I did the blunder of giving my cell Number to the Maharashtra Times in that 11 Rs. Offer.I even get irritated by those sms'ses every now & them.I am a working lady and have to hanndle my job as well as home.Yesterday I got one message from LM-MT CRM at 2.35 in the night about one such promos for IDBI BANK FROM MAHARASHTRA Times.How could do these Maharastra Times people use this database of our Phone numbers .Is that why they could sell the Paper for 11 Rs. for 4 mnths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SSJ,
    Here's what I have done. I went on the TRAI website tolodge a complaint. TRAI suggests that as a first step the consumer should log a complaint with the service provider. I have sent an email to my cellphone service provider and asked them to stop these emails. Lets wait to see if it is effective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paradhin Aahe Jagati Putra Manavacha

संदीप खरेच्या कविता

Trip to Karde