Zihaal-e-miskin

I was trying to decipher of this beautiful song Zihaal-e-Miskin from the film Ghulami (music Laxmikant-Pyarelal, lyrics Gulzar) when I discovered the original one by Amir Khusro. The lyrics are available at Ektaara musicLink

Here is the song as adapted by Gulzar with his own antara’s –

ज़िहाल – To notice or look upon

मिस्कीं – Poor (Metaphorically) or लाचार

मकूं – Not or Do not

ब रंजिश – With ill will or hatred(?)

बहाल-ए-हिज्र – Fresh from seperation

(Do not look upon my poor heart with enmity

The wounds of separation are still fresh)


ज़िहाल-ए-मिस्कीं मकूं बा रंजिश

बेहाल-ए-हिज्र बेचारा दिल है

सुनाई देती है जिसकी धडकन

तुम्हारा दिल या हमारा दिल है


वो आके पेहलू में ऐसे बैठे

के शाम रंगीन हो गयी है

ज़रा ज़रा सी खिली तबियत

ज़रा सी गमघीन हो गयी है


कभी कभी शाम ऐसे ढलती है

जैसे घुंघट उतर रहा है

तुम्हारे सीने से उठता धूआं

हमारे दिल से गुज़र रहा है


यह शर्म है या हया है क्या है

नज़र उठाते ही झुक गयी है

तुम्हारी पल्कों से गिर के शबनम

हमारी अखोंमें रुक गयी है

The amusing part about the original one is that it is written in Persian followed by a line a Brijbhasha. Here is the original poem by Amir Khusro –

Zihaal-e miskeen makun taghaful, duraye naina banaye batiyan;
Ki taab-e hijran nadaram ay jaan, na leho kaahe lagaye chhatiyan.

Shaban-e hijran daraz chun zulf wa roz-e waslat cho umr kotah;
Sakhi piya ko jo main na dekhun to kaise kaatun andheri ratiyan.

Yakayak az dil do chashm-e-jadoo basad farebam baburd taskin;
Kise padi hai jo jaa sunaave pyare pi ko hamaari batiyan.

Cho shama sozan cho zarra hairan hamesha giryan be ishq aan meh;
Na neend naina na ang chaina na aap aaven na bhejen patiyan.

Bahaqq-e roze wisal-e dilbar ki daad mara ghareeb Khusrau;
Sapet man ke waraaye raakhun jo jaaye paaon piya ke khatiyan.

Loosely translated it would be as follows-

Do not overlook my misery by blandishing your eyes and weaving

tales;

My patience has over-brimmed, O sweetheart, why do you not take me to your bosom.


Long like curls in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union;
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night without looking at you.


Suddenly, using a thousand tricks, the enchanting eyes robbed me of my tranquil mind
Who would care to go and tell these matters to my beloved?

Tossed and bewildered, like a flickering candle, I roam about in the fire of love;
Sleepless eyes, restless body, neither comes my beloved nor sends a message.


In honour of the day I meet my beloved who has lured me so long, O Khusrau;
I shall keep my feelings suppressed, if ever I get a chance to get to my beloved’s trick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradhin Aahe Jagati Putra Manavacha

संदीप खरेच्या कविता

Trip to Karde